Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(16)
-
▼
June
(13)
- Lecture: Dialogic Democracy (Week 5)
- Ch: 8 Groupthink (Week 4)
- Ch: 7 Consumption (Week 4)
- Ch: 7 Work/Life Conflict (Week 4)
- Lecture: Pervasive Communication Environment (Wee...
- Lecture: Ideology (Week 3)
- Ch: 6 Surveillance (Week 3)
- Lecture: Hegemony (Week 3)
- Ch: 5 Practical View (Week 3)
- Ch: 4 Loose Coupling (Week 2)
- Ch: 4 Feedback (Week 2)
- Ch: 3 Resistance to Domination (Week 2)
- Ch: 3 Hierarchy (Week 2)
-
▼
June
(13)
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Ch: 6 Surveillance (Week 3)
Surveillance immediately made me think of our security/loss prevention officers at the Marriott. Chapter 6 defines surveillance as ongoing supervision, which makes it a mode of power. In our hotel, the security officers do have a lot of power because they have the ways and means of watching employees as well as guests within certain areas of the hotel. The bank room has cameras, as does the parking lots, hallways, and ballrooms. This way, they can keep an eye on any activity that may hinder the business or affect it in any way. At times, surveillance may be hidden and we may be unaware that we are being watched. I'm actually quite sure that the Marriott has more cameras than we think and so I am always aware of what I'm doing while at work. Therefore, these methods of surveillance can be a form of power because employee actions differ based on their awareness of being watched.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
In speaking of hotels, I cannot say if I have seen surveillance cameras at a low budget hotel. At Embassy Suites and Marriott Courtyard, security does a good job of making the modern-day systems of power (panopticon metaphor) covert and comfortable because the guests do not necessarily know where there might be cameras. The first few things I notice are the layout, plants, decorations, etc. instead of surveillance cameras. I watched "Maid in Manhattan," so I can see what you mean about security officers having power and that you need to be aware of what you are doing at work.
Post a Comment