Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ch: 4 Feedback (Week 2)

Chapter 4 discusses the importance of 'feedback' within organizations. In many cases, when there is no feedback or lack of, individuals who are a part of an organization may not improve in certain areas that are crucial to the success of the organization. Feedback is defined by Eisenberg as "a system of loops that connect communication and action" (109). In other words, when feedback is given to the recipient, an action should be done in response to the feedback, otherwise the purpose of feedback is ultimately useless. All of my jobs (previous and current) had a certain time period where we would sit down with managers for a 'review,' where we would talk about a raise, as well as give and receive feedback. When I was an assistant manager at Jamba Juice, I was told that I was great at interacting with my team, but needed to work on planning my shifts better so that I would succeed. This shows positive and negative feedback. Based on the negative feedback, I acted upon what I was told and improved on planning my shifts. Therefore, when the next review came up, the once negative feedback became a positive one, which enhanced my growth within the store, as well as the overall success as well.

3 comments:

JMcAvoy said...

Aloha - I have to agree with you on the fact that feedback is imperative. Feedback, I believe, is actually a big component to the success of any company. I work for a spa and we are in the process of testing out few new concepts. The manager needs my feedback of these concepts because she can't be there every moment of the day. I can tell her what is going right, what may not be working so well and what actually needs to go all together. Without this feedback she wouldn't know the full extent of how the concepts are going. So, yes, feedback is huge.

sp1028 said...

I agree with you when you say "when feedback is given to the recipient, an action should be done in response to the feedback, otherwise the purpose of the feedback is ultimately useless." Years ago, I worked at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk as a Group Lead Supervisor, and I also had to plan shifts for the people who were in my group. Many of my group members would come to me and tell me to give them the weekend off, they would do this without letting my supervisor know first. I then let my supervisors know about this situation and they let me know what I can do to improve the fact that many people took "advantage" of my employee status.

ad said...

I also agree that feedback is very important for an employee so that they can improve leading to the overall success of a company. I couple of years ago I had a job that I never received any feedback from. We knew how the restaurant was doing overall but with so many employees I guess it was difficult to give individual feedback. I stopped working there after a year because I felt that I was not getting any kind of growth. I felt that any kind of feedback, good or bad, would have probably kept me there longer.