Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(16)
-
▼
June
(13)
- Lecture: Dialogic Democracy (Week 5)
- Ch: 8 Groupthink (Week 4)
- Ch: 7 Consumption (Week 4)
- Ch: 7 Work/Life Conflict (Week 4)
- Lecture: Pervasive Communication Environment (Wee...
- Lecture: Ideology (Week 3)
- Ch: 6 Surveillance (Week 3)
- Lecture: Hegemony (Week 3)
- Ch: 5 Practical View (Week 3)
- Ch: 4 Loose Coupling (Week 2)
- Ch: 4 Feedback (Week 2)
- Ch: 3 Resistance to Domination (Week 2)
- Ch: 3 Hierarchy (Week 2)
-
▼
June
(13)
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Ch: 3 Hierarchy (Week 2)
In chapter 3, we are introduced to the concept of a ‘hierarchy’ within organizations. A hierarchy is essentially where we can visualize a tower that works its way up from bottom to top, or works its way down from top to bottom. In this tower, we would see your everyday employee as well as individuals that hold managerial or executive positions. Because I work at the Santa Clara Marriott, I am a part of a hierarchy. For example, I am an employee of the front office, then comes Debbie (the front desk supervisor), Ashley (the front desk manager), May (the front office manager), Shelly (the director of rooms) and then finally Chuck (the general manager of the hotel). This is an example of a hierarchy because it works from your everyday employee on up to the general manager. This is important within organizations because it gives everyone different responsibilities. The idea of power is also split up among the tiers of the tower in hierarchy. This is a concept that is meaningful to me because I am aware of it every time I go into work. The managers are always leading the meetings and dealing with the more difficult guests because it is their responsibility to do so. If organizations didn’t have a hierarchy of some sort, then they wouldn’t be as structured/organized which can eventually lead to failure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The organization of hierarchy is an important one because as you suggested it divides the work and maintains a structure of order. I work in law enforcement where it is a para-military structure. As you can probably assume there is order from the top to the bottom which we refer to as "rank." There is never a question as to who is the boss because everyone is well marked with symbols on their uniforms.
The para-military organization creates a structure that is difficult to manipulate or change. This type of structure is a good thing since the type of responsibilities assumed by officers is of a highly important and sensitive nature at the same time. As you best explained, if organizations fail to have a hierarchy, then they would fail. There would be no one in authority to give direction or answer to.
I agree that hierarchy is important and your example at the Marriott clearly shows a line of hierarchical positions. At my work, we have a similar level of hierarchy, starting with analysts and working up to the partner level. In my group, although we have the levels of hierarchy, we actually report to multiple people. I find that this approach allows us to interact with more people and share our ideas. I wonder what other approaches there are to collaborate amongst the different levels of hierarchy…
Your Santa Clara Marriot example was very interesting to me. My husband is part of a Union he works for a construction company and just like the marriot their is a hierarchy. Their are jouneyman and carpenters and electricians. All of these people have certain jobs that need to be done and alll of them start at the botoom and can eventually work their way up. Until you are a foreman of a job or a manager on site. In my job I work for my dad and he is the boss and that is one of the more simple hierarchies. Aloha is right if their is no hierarchy then thier can be no structure and this would eventually lead to failure.
Aloha- I like your personalized description of hierarchy and how it works. I agree that it makes large organizations more manageable and like Santa Cruz’s example of the paramilitary organizations, it is essential. I think that where we run into trouble as a society is when it creates class-consciousness and blocks those in entry-level places on the pyramid from ascending to the higher levels. So far, a lot of the concepts that we have been reading about have challenged me to think of communication and management systems differently.
Post a Comment