Blog Archive
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Ch: 11 Scripts (Week 5)
Chapter 11 discusses mindful and mindless communication within organizations and certain concepts that are considered to be important among them. Scripts are known as excanges of words that is delivered in a routinely manner. We are all familiar with scripts because at some point or another we've been a part of plays/shows where we were required to either memorize or read off scripts. The book states that "we follow scripts at work when we engage in what we consider to be routine and unimportant interactions, such as selection and performance appraisals..." (344). I can see how human resource departments would follow scripts a lot in the hiring process. In my specific department, as a phone operator I have to follow the telephone etiquette script where I answer the phone by saying "Good evening, and thank you for calling the Santa Clara Marriott, this is Nicole speaking, how may I assist you?" and then answer questions before saying "is there anything else I can assist you with?" followed by "thank you for calling, have a great day." This script is set up in front of every console so that we always remember to say what we are required to say. Scripts are routine and repeated on a regular basis but they are meant to assist us and guide us in the right direction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment