Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Ch: 9 Supportive Communication (Week 5)

Chapter 9 discusses the importance of having a supportive figure within organizations. Supportive communication is when active listening and having a genuine interest in employees occurs. There are two methods of communication that supervisors tend to have with their employees: 1) in-group relationships 2) out-group relationships. These two differ because one is based upon a personal/trusting relationship that isn’t too formal vs. the out-group which is based upon a standard professional/formal relationship. Nevertheless, it is still important for authoritative figures to be supportive. I feel lucky to have managers that are understanding of my busy school schedule throughout the school year. Every manager always asks me how school is and if my workload is too heavy. They are flexible with my needs because they support my decision to go to school full-time and manage to work a part-time job as well. The main reason why I have stayed at the Marriott all these years is because I feel as though my managers are all very supportive of my decisions, even though they may get the short end of the stick with my available hours. Having management that does have a genuine interest in my life outside of work, shows that they will support me in whatever decisions I may make.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I agree that supportive communication is essential in a business. You need to feel comfortable in the business both professionally and personally. To have an understanding manager (and co-workers) shows that they appreciate your efforts and are willing to work with you to help make you a better person. They essentially want to do this to help you help their business. Such as helping/working with an employee that also is attending school. Many companies look (at least in my opinion) at working with this employee and their schooling, will better the employee and make them a better asset to the company and if the company is patient with the employee during this time, the employee will desire to stay with the company after they obtained their education. while i worked at Kia, the girls were always fine with my bringing in my notebook for the few days prior to a math test to study from while working, or to re-write my notes here and there (like while web pages loaded etc) and they would check make sure I was doing ok in my class(es) and give me encouraging words to help me out (I was struggling passing my math course in order to transfer to SJSU). I am deeply appreciative for this support. When I finally was passing my stats class and looking like I was going to finally transfer, they took me out to lunch to celebrate. Even though it meant I would be leaving the company, they wanted me to be supported and not feel like I needed to obligate myself to my work and blow off my schooling. So as result, i gained respect for my co-workers.